Nice recipe for a beautiful winter soup courtesy of elanaspantry.com
This the season for all things squash and pumpkin. On the menu tonight? Butternut squash apple soup spiced with sweet, warming cinnamon. If you’re looking for an easy soup recipe this one is great for beginners.
My younger son loves this soup and I do too –sometimes I even eat it with a little protein (such as eggs or turkey) for breakfast.
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into 2 inch cubes
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 cups stock or water
In a large pot warm oil
Caramelize onion, sautéing 10-15 minutes until golden brown
Add squash cubes, apple slices and cinnamon and cook for 10 minutes
Pour stock into pot and bring mixture to a boil
Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
In a vitamix, puree soup in very small batches (for safety)
Here are some notes on this recipe:
- Feel free to make this soup with other types of winter squash such as pumpkin, acorn, delicata, etc.
- I used a 2 ½ pound butternut squash for this recipe (weight is prior to peeling and de-seeding).
- Experiment with other warming spices such as ginger and nutmeg.
- I used Braeburn apples in this soup; feel free to experiment with other types of apples.